ERP Lingerie & Style Guide
Congratulations on booking your boudoir photography session!
It's going to be an amazing experience! One of the keys to success is bringing the proper wardrobe that will not only help you look and feel beautiful, but flatter your unique body as well.
This is like a super detailed cheat sheet to help you figure out what to bring from home and what to shop for. I also have an ever-growing studio wardrobe that you will have access to during your session. You will have 2-3 outfit changes during your session so make sure to include a variety of looks. Something comfy, like an oversized tee and thigh high socks. Something sentimental like your husband's favorite jersey or band tee. Something sexy, like that lingerie piece you've had for years but never wear. And something simple, like that nude bra and panty set you wear all the time that fits you in all the right places.
Also, bring any special jewelry and a pair of shoes that you feel like a goddess in.
Bra & Panty Sets
There are so many different options out there for sexy bra/panty sets. When shopping for these, proper fit is extremely important. Be careful of pushup bras, as they often make you look unnatural. Make sure the area near your armpit looks nice and smooth and you are not overflowing out of the cups.
A teddy is a garment that covers the torso and crotch in one garment. It is similar to a one- piece swimsuit or a body suit but is typically more sheer and definitely on the sexy side.
Corsets are meant to cinch your waist and give you killer curves. They usually have ties in the back that help create your shape. They are hard to put on, but don't worry-I'm here to help!
A close-fitting, one-piece stretch garment for women. They can be considered as a top with pants but they are fabulous for boudoir and flatter every body type!
A bustier is similar to a corset in coverage, but it has cups built in that give nice breast support. They don't normally cinch the waist like corsets do, but there are some hybrid styles out there that combine a little waist cinching and breast lifting.
A baby doll is a short, (usually) sleeveless, loose-fitting nightgown. It sometimes has formed cups called a bralette for cleavage with an attached, loose-fitting skirt falling, in length, usually between the belly button and upper thigh.
Garter Belts, Garters, & Thigh Highs
A Garter Belt is a belt worn around the waist or hips with attached garters or fasteners to hold up stockings. Sometimes garters are built into lingerie so a belt isn't needed. These are super sexy and a great accessory to bring along.
The stockings they hold up are called Thigh Highs (because they pull up to the thigh.)
There are two different types of thigh highs:
Some have a rubber material on the inside to help them stay up. This is really important to know. If stockings have the rubber inside, they are not meant for garters. They can easily stay up on their own.
Stockings without the rubber are much more desirable for garters. There is an art to attaching the stockings. Again, don't worry, I can help you and teach you how it's done.
Shapewear is a type of tight-fitting underwear intended to control and shape the figure. There are many beautiful options out there these days! Some have lace and/or patterns and look gorgeous on!
Clothing is a fantastic option for boudoir! It might sound counterintuitive but think about a hot leather jacket; or ripped up jeans and a sexy bra; or off the shoulder sweaters; or loose tee. There are so many ways clothing can be made sexy. It's all about how you wear it.
Kimonos & Robes
Loose, open, and flow, kimonos and robes can look so beautiful and natural with a simple bra and panty set. I tell everyone to bring something like this in for their session. It can also help if you have any areas that you have insecurities about!
Now that you know a little more about the different styles, read below to determine which is best for you!
- 'Abs'olutely the right lingerie... Want to show off those hard earned abs and a little more skin? Bra and panty sets are a great option. Things to think about are the style of panty you choose (the amount of coverage) and what type of bra suits you best. I know it's tempting to pull out a bra you might wear every day - but try to look for something a little sexier, special. Something that is meant to be seen!
- Hey, ma'am, need a lift? So, you've had a baby, or lost some weight, etc...and you may feel you need some lift in the breast department. As a mother who has breastfed a combined 5+ years of her life...I get it. I know most women are tempted to go straight for push up bras...but resist the urge. Before you try on a push up, look for demi cup bras, or under-wire bras that offer strong support without adding too much lift. This is typically more flattering proportionally. Good support is more important than padding any day. This is not to say there aren't some amazing push ups our there, just be aware of how any bra fits and flatters.
- Let's get to the bottom of this... If a great tush shot is on your list, I recommend bottoms that show just enough, but not too much. I prefer cheeky or Brazilian bottoms over thongs and g-strings. High cut body suits can be crazy hot, too!
- Legs, legs, legs... Lot's of options! We all want gorgeous, long legs. Here are a couple of tips for that! Look for high cut undies, teddies, and bodysuits. The higher the leg opening, the longer your legs will look. Also, bring a pair of nude heels if you can. That will make them look even longer.
- Need a lift but don't want to show too much tummy? Bustiers are for you! They offer amazing support while giving you more coverage, and flattering your shape.
- Want to arm wrestle? Arms are sometimes a concern for women. Look for a long sleeved body suit or wear one of your bae's big, loose tee's or button down work shirts.
How to do coverage - correctly...
Even though boudoir is about shedding layers and getting intimate, I do understand that many women don't want to show too much skin. Everyone's comfort level is different and it's important to find what make you feel your best.
If you are worried about showing your stomach, think of shapewear (the pretty kind!), slips, bustiers, corsets, and kimonos. A beautiful lace robe over a bra and panty set is a great choice. So is a plain white tank top and lacey undies.
If you have some stretch marks or scars that you'd rather not have featured in your photos, look for some more opaque materials, but stick with a style that will still show off your shape - like a bodysuit or a slip. The worst thing you can do is hide behind a ton of fabric. It will only add weight. We want to see your shape and curves are a beautiful thing!
Please bring at least one pair of heels, either in nude or black. And then a super fun pair like a hot pink pump or combat boots. Don't be afraid to show some personality!
Feel free to bring any jewelry that is sentimental or particularly beautiful. Try to steer clear of costume pieces, though.
Less is more with props. But that doesn't mean I don't want you to bring any. It's nice to incorporate your personality in your photos. If you have something particular in mind, let me know and we can discuss our options!
Most colors work really well in camera. Some that do not include fluorescent colors and sometimes red and turquoise. If you like red, look for a deeper red, something not too bright. Black looks good on everyone.
Always bring more outfits than you plan to wear, this way we have options! I also recommend bringing at least one outfit totally out of your comfort zone. You don't have to wear it, but you just may want to!